Transnet Regional Legal Advisor Job Requirements
Transnet Regional Legal Advisor job requirements are following:-
Qualifications & Experience:
• The applicant must be in possession of an LLB / B. Proc Degree.
• Admitted as an Attorney or Advocate.
• With at least 7 years post qualification experience in providing professional advice in
maritime law, commercial law, competition law, contract law, administrative law, legal compliance
and/or litigation matters.
• Valid Drivers licence
High ethical standards
Creative / innovative
Attentive to detail
Good working knowledge in relation to:
• Maritime Law
• National Ports Act
• Commercial Law
• Contract Law
• Competition Law
• Corporate Governance
• Compliance related processes including monitoring and assurance
• Industry knowledge:
– Knowledge of Port Operations, maritime, shipping and transport.
• Legislation – Research, Analytical, Drafting, Interpretation skills and good working knowledge of all relevant
legislation pertaining to the Ports System, Maritime,Commercial, Contract Law.
• National Ports Act – develop framework for compliance, review terminal operator agreement/terminal operator
licence, provide advisory and training services
• Draft, review, provide remedial and advisory services on contracts and/or commercial transactions and agreements.
• Legal and compliance – an excellent understanding and application of various legal documents, legislation,
processes, Transnet and TPT legal, compliance and insurance and claims process in order to eliminate or
mitigate against legal risks and exposures for organisational effectiveness.
• Administrative skills – sound organising of time, documentation and resources, sound track record of effective
people management with tight deadlines but still keep employees motivated.
• Excellent communication, negotiation, dispute resolution skills.
• Excellent Drafting skill, verbal, writing and questioning and presentation skills
• Training and development – development of legal and compliance training material.
• Time management – ability to manage competing priorities and conflicting demands and deadlines.
• Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office
• High level of decisiveness
• Interpersonal effectiveness, networking and relationship building
• Talent acquisition and retention
• Business awareness and acumen
• Financial Management
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Report writing
• Project management
Regional Legal Advisor Job Responsibility for Transnet Job Vacancy
1. Ensure the provision of legal support, advise and guidance to the region.
2. Advise the region on new and existing commercial business transactions to ensure that the legal risks are identified,
mitigated and legal requirements are met by the region. Representing the region in commercial agreements, negotiation
with the customers, cargo owners, Authority and potential business partners, tariff agreements, lease agreements.
3. Provide professional and credible legal drafting services so that legally compliant documents, service/procurement
contracts, service level agreements are drafted and are implemented by the region.
• Negotiate, draft or review all agreements to be entered into with services providers, customers and the Authority.
• Provide legal advice to the various departments within the region,particularly in negotiations of commercial
contracts i.e customer/tariff related; lease agreements, operating licenses, business transaction, service
• Performing review of all agreements to be entered into within the region.
4. Prepare, analyse, comment and interpret a variety of legal documents.
5. Actively contribute in the developing, implementing and monitoring of legal frameworks, policies, procedures and
uniform norms and standards for the provision of legal services and management of legal risk.
• Provide input into the drafting of policies and procedures against the govermance policy framework.
6. Liaise with external legal firms on the provision of specialist advisory, management of the external legal service
providers and the legal budget accordingly.
7. Input and/or coordinate submissions on behalf of the region on draft legislation or regulatory directives, as required.
8. Undertake legal due diligence exercises to identify and mitigate legal risk facing the region.
9. Negotiate and advise from a regional strategic point of view all material agreements with suppliers or customers.
10. Ensure that there is compliance in all respects with the PFMA and other statutory obligations applicable to the region.
11. Participate in various internal and external regional and TPT Committees as requested by the Senior Specialist: Legal,
Governance, Risk and Compliance and provide effective legal support.
12. Advise the region on the interpretation, application and implementation of various administrative law instruments to
ensure compliance and adherence with all compliance obligations.
13.Develop and ensure implementation of a litigation management system in the region so that the region is aware of
all litigation matters and acts in accordance with appropriate strategies to manage legal risks.
• Attend legal consultations, court cases to ensure that adequate instructions are given and proper legal guidance is
given to ensure compliance with Transnet policies and to safeguard Transnet’s and the regions interests and
• Advise, manage and report on all disputes and litigation matters that may pose a reputational and financial risk to
• Prepare cases for various litigation stages, filing of court documents.
• Conduct workshops on the management of various legal risk based on outcome of litigation cases.
• Manage legal workflow emanating from litigation and claims processes.
14. Deal with request for information made in terms of the Promotion of Accessto Information Act, 2000 (Act No.2 of 2000)
and Promotion of Administrative Justice Act, 2000 :
15. Deliver profession services in the areas of:
• Legal Compliance (interpretation, opinions, policy commentary)
• Drafting, reviewing, interpreting, commenting on and performing remedial work in respect of Commercial
• Competition Law
• Legal due diligence
• Advisory services
16. Develop framework to proactively manage the implementation of commercial and corporate law strategy for the region
• Identify and mitigate commercial and competition law risks and exposures
• Manage the internal stakeholders from the Key Accounts department and HQ commercial department on commercial
contract including the tariff agreements on an ongoing basis to assist with legal reviews and queries.
• Provide training and ongoing development and implementation of training material to improve knowledge of
commercial and competition law within the region.
• Develop new standardised templates if required for drafting commercial contracts in line with the TPT
HQ Legal/Commercial approved SOPs and review, and update the existing to ensure there are still in line with
the compliance obligations.
• Regional legal representative at HQ and Legal Forums and if applicable, Sales, Logistics and Commercial Committee.
17. Conduct legal research on statutes, decisions, legal articles,codes and documents.
18. Provide legal advisory services to the procurement function in developing various legal documents pertaining
to the procurement of services and goods, ensuring documents and contracts comply with Legislation and
19. Participate in various business deal transactions, drafting of transaction agreements (contracts, lease,
deed of sale, addendums).
20. Provide legal support in respect of contract management services in the region to ensure all contracts
signed are within the appropriate authority and adhere to compliance obligations.
21. Provide legal support and input into the various procurement processes.
22. Deliver professional Services with regards to the National Ports Act legal portfolio:
• Provide legal opinions, research, drafting, reviewing, interpreting, perform remedial work and monitor
legislation for amendments while mananging the record keeping.
• Legal compliance – provide assurance, monitoring, risk and exposure activities.
• Develop the National Ports Act and Terminal Operator License framework to proactively manage the
implementation of the National Ports Act strategy for the region.
• Implementation of compliance framework for the region to manage the risk and exposure, compliance
to the National Ports Act, Terminal Operator Licence and Agreements.
• Identify and mitigate risks and exposures to the regions Terminal Operator Licenses, Legislations, Laws
• Develop and provide training and ongoing awareness on the National Ports Act, Compliance Obligations
applicable to the region, Terminal Operator Licenses.
• Management of all matters relating to the National Ports Act and enabling legislation.
• Participate in the regional Port Consultative Committee and TNPA Oversight Committees
23. Ensure Legal Compliance is conducted for the region including the Regulatory Universe, Compliance Monitoring Plan,
License and Permit Registers, Risk and Exposure Report.
24. Provide guidance, leadership and oversight of the insurance and claims portfolio including managing the Regional Insurance and Claims specialist.
25. Budget, manage the legal resources, systems, documentation.
26. Prepare all legal, compliance, corporate governance and litigation reports including monthly reports for presentation
and submission to the Senior Specialist: Legal, Governance, Risk and Compliance.
27 Give effect to Transnet’s commitment to transformation in the legal field by ensuring that a high percentage of legal spend is on Black owned legal firms